Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Date Shake

Coconut Date Shake
I have to be honest... this weather is making me grumpy. It was 83 degrees in Manhattan on Monday! Ugh. Instead of wearing cute sweaters, boots and jackets, I'm still sweating to death in flip-flops and shorts. Do you know how hard it is to look attractive for an audition when it's hot out? My freshly curled hair falls, my meticulously applied make-up melts and I'm left hot, red-faced and longing for cooler weather. Not to mention all the hearty soups, casseroles and baked goods that are begging to be made when the air turns brisk. Come on Mother Nature, it's October!

Today I'm (yet again) forgoing the Apple Crisp-type recipes that I'm dying to try and serving up a recipe that I wanted to make this summer but forgot about. This creamy, dreamy Coconut Date Shake is a creative alternative to your average smoothie beverage, sweet enough for dessert but healthy enough for breakfast or a snack. That's right folks it was so hot this week that the thought of actually turning on my oven repulsed me, and instead I longed for a refreshing smoothie. The dates and vanilla give it a spicy, warm under-tone that's perfect for a cool warm Fall night. Relax and have a date tonight with a Coconut Date Shake. Enjoy!

Coconut Date Shake
Cast of Characters: Bananas (frozen), dates, coconut water (not pictured), almond milk, salt, vanilla.
De-pit and chop dates.
Combine all ingredients in blender.
Blend. (Like my new Target blouse?)
Garnish with a little ground cinnamon and a sassy manicure!
Nail Color: ESSIE "Chinchilly"
Original Recipe: Blender Girl's Vegan Coconut Date Shake

It's no secret how much I love my Magic Bullet Blender. It makes being creative in the kitchen easy because the clean-up is a breeze! What are other out-of-the-box shake, smoothie, or blended drink ideas?

2 comments: