Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Easy as (Dinner) Pie.

Salmon Asparagus Pie
I think we'd all like to eat healthier but it can get expensive, and let's be honest, kind of boring. Organic, local, and farm-raised are all worthy, admirable causes but they ain't cheap.

And then to top it all off there's this little thing called motivation. It can be my best friend or my worst enemy. Cooking healthy is a lot more work than prepared boxed foods. I know nuking a plastic tub of Bob Evans mashed potatoes is way easier than chopping and boiling up a fresh side dish. So what's a gal to do when on a quest for healthful and easy home-cooked dinner ideas? Today's recipe comes to the rescue:-)

Salmon and Asparagus Pie rocked my world this week (in fact, I made it twice!). I had a bunch of asparagus and 2 salmon fillets and was prepared to do my usual meat with vegetable side. Something in me rebelled. I just couldn't take the monotony anymore, and figured someone must have put this dynamic duo together in a recipe. In my search I discovered Salmon and Asparagus Pie. Sharp, creamy Swiss paired with eggs, chives and baking mix make one winner of a dish! And the added budget bonus? I ended up using only 1 fillet of salmon instead of my normal 2! This recipe stretched my weekly grocery budget just a little farther :-)




Salmon Asparagus Pie
Cast of Characters: Salmon, asparagus, milk, baking mix, eggs, green onions, swiss cheese.
Chop green onions and swiss cheese. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
*Girl From Scratch Modification: Cook salmon. I am using a wild-caught salmon fillet opposed to canned salmon which the recipe calls for.
Break up the cooked salmon and then put on a plate and put in the fridge to chill immediately. (If salmon is hot then the eggs will scramble!)
Add 1/2 cup baking mix to 1 cup milk.
Add 2 eggs lightly beaten.
Salt and pepper and a shake of italian seasoning or basil or garlic... anything to give it a little kick!
Arrange the salmon, asparagus, swiss cheese and green onions in a pie-plate sprayed with cooking spray and then pour the egg/baking mix mixture over top.
Place in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
It turned out beautiful!
This is a great brunch option too! Pair with a fruit salad and muffins.



Nail Color: Essie 'Lapis in Luxury'
Original Recipe: Salmon Asparagus Impossible Pie


We get our healthy omega-3 fatty acids from the salmon, protein from the eggs and folic acid from the asparagus. It's a winner! I saw many variations of this recipe that I can't wait to try. There is a feta and roasted-red pepper pie and broccoli cheddar pie too! Does anyone else have a go-to easy and healthy dinner idea?

3 comments:

  1. I'm TOTALLY making this recipe for my man this week :) SO healthy, ALL the food groups, cheese and Bisquick...HECK YEAH!! Thanks Girl From Scratch for your amazing blog and recipes that will be sure to enhance my marriage...cause the meat/protein and vegetable side thing is TOTALLY over done at the Brown home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope you try it this week. It was so good. I bet you might come up with some interesting additions to throw in there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm painting my nails blue and instructing my servants to make this for din din this very evening. Thanks, Lindsay.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete