Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Simple and Sublime

Frozen Key Lime Pie
My first and only dessert post, Three Steps That'll Make Your Day  featured a simple and delicious recipe for flour-less chocolate cake. So far, that post received the largest, quickest response and the highest number of weekly views. I even had several people send emails or comments that they tried and loved this quick and easy four-ingredient dessert. I was surprised by the response! It got me thinking about what you, my dear readers, like to read on this blog. And according to the stats, *Girl From Scratch readers are busy, no-fuss chefs who like a fast and easy dessert. Sounds familiar:-)



Today's recipe (another 4-ingredient dessert), Frozen Key Lime Pie, uses the freezer instead of the oven and arrives just in time for summer picnics and barbecues. Light, creamy, cool and refreshing, this dessert will have your guests standing in lime for more (I know, I know... I couldn't resist.)

What is it that appeals to me about a simple dessert? I love any recipe that makes a self-taught kitchen klutz like me, look like a Food Network Star. Not that I'm above an Entenmann's Pound Cake or anything (love those), but something in me craves the accolades and praise I get when I bring a "homemade" creation to a gathering or party.

A little vain, I know.

I'll try not to 'seek the praise of others' so much... but in the mean time I will keep digging up these fantastically simple recipes that require the smallest amount of effort and ingredients possible and delivering them to you. Enjoy!


Frozen Key Lime Pie
Cast of Characters: Graham Pie-crust, Limes,Whipped Toppping, Sweetened Condensed Milk
Juice limes (you want about a half cup of juice). The recipe calls for keys limes, but my grocery didn't have them so I used regular limes.
Scoop 8 oz container of thawed whipped topping into a mixing bowl.
Add one can of sweetened condensed milk.
Add juice.
Combine all ingredients.
Zest lime for additional flavor and color.

Put filling in pre-made graham cracker crust.
Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set and harden.
Add fresh whipped cream and a lime twist to garnish.
 
Let's just look at that one more time...




I can't wait to make this again with toasted coconut flakes for garnish or creme fraiche instead of whipped topping. Let me know your experiences, thoughts and adventures!

Nail Color: Essie 'Pansy'



Couldn't resist! I love limes and cats. This is one of the first images that come up when you Google Search the word "Lime." ?????

5 comments:

  1. I love key lime pie! Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Key Lime Pie better be as good as Joe's or else! (I'm shaking my fist).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha.. I thought you put this on your cat and was thinking what tame cats you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie: Let me know how you like it! And also if you make any changes.

    Jonathan: I can only hope it's as good as Joe's!

    Caress: My cats would DEFINITELY not allow a lime hat on their heads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE an easy dessert...this looks FAB!! Have you TRIED a lime hat on the kitties? ;)

    ReplyDelete